End of a Tale End of a Tale

Magnificent. This sounds incredible. It emanates the emotion and playing style of a live orchestra.

My only criticisms are that the solos can come out a bit, and the lower end (cellos and basses) needs to be more present. I'm assuming that all these sounds are produced by a software instrument, but it still sells the atmosphere very well.

Don't forget to add dynamics to the soloists, especially the violin melody (or firsts in this case). My personal preference would have a solo violin, since I'm a violinist, but these are all up to interpretation.

I could see this playing in a movie or the end credits of a thrilling video game. Very well done.

LawnReality responds:

I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Thank you for the feedback, as well. I was a little bit distracted when making this, and missed some stuff as a result.

INGR3SSO - Lights INGR3SSO - Lights

I would classify this as techno. House has more of a side chained feel to it.

I'm just going to write down comments as I listen; All criticism are only suggestions, and may be incorrect.

- Beginning seems a bit abrupt, perhaps you could begin with a reversed chord or a swell?
- Intro is quite long; besides background chords and arps, no melody is introduced, making it -repetitive.
+ Mixing and arrangement is balanced, each element can be heard.
- The transition at 2:05 is a bit abrupt, but the melody following is new and unique.
- New melody does not last half as long as long build-up, making it anticlimactic
+ Fresh sounds and percussion after transition
- Try considering your foreground and background. What do you want your audience to hear? The bassline or the melody? Might want to bring out the melody aspects more.
- Ending is abrupt.

Last thoughts: Overall, it's not bad. Everything I hear fits together well, but the piece seems to lack development in a certain direction. This causes the piece to be repetitive; it is sometimes hard to pinpoint a melody.

INGR3SSO responds:

Hello Sdra3g, thanks for your suggestion, or "criticism" you call it. I really appreciate this suggestion you gave me. By the way, can you teach me the difference between techno, dance and house? How do they sound like? Or anything else? Please, till this day I still don't know how to see the difference of these "sound alike" genre. I NEED HELP!!!!

Carpe Diem Carpe Diem

I'm just going to assume that since this piece is orchestral, the general idea of where it's being "performed" is a concert hall. That being said, the piano sounds a bit dry. Yes, it is a solo-type instrument, but you don't want it to sound too much like you're listening to the sound of a piano played in a room with the background of an epic concert hall. Also, because strings take more time to attack, sometimes it appears the piano is slightly ahead of the rest of the orchestra. Adding some reverb should help. I'm guessing the Brass is your melody there. You want that to be your main focus.

The arpeggios in the strings seem to stand out a bit too much for me. Keep in mind that the higher the pitch, the easier it breaks through and becomes the center of attention.

Other than that, everything sounds AMAZING! It sounds so much like a orchestra, (though my bias opinion thinks that the strings could be louder because I play the violin). I would go see live performance of this.

CloakedSoup responds:

Thanks. I'll be sure to take a look at those things and adjust as necessary.

Twinky62 - Bouncy Sail Twinky62 - Bouncy Sail

Please Consider your dB when mixing. There is SO much clipping, which gives the sound a very distorted tone, and also makes it very difficult to listen to. (EQ it, Limit it, Turn down the Volume, etc. ANYTHING to blend the sounds more.) I currently have the volume at 8/100 and it is still quite loud.

Organization seems to be okay, but it difficult to tell with so much volume.

Twinky62 responds:

yeah, ikknow, i forgot about lowing the EQ, sorrt for that :(

Gonna Be A Good Day Gonna Be A Good Day

I feel like there isn't enough 2nd Violin/Viola. The high notes and the low ones contrast well, but the mid range (like A4-A5 range) for the strings don't seem to exist. This might have to do with the Panning of the overall track, which I've noted, is exactly like a real orchestra would be set up. However, what I'm getting right now is not really a blend, but more of a high left ear and a low right ear.

Brass/Woodwinds (In all the orchestras I've played in) are right in the center, behind the strings. Try not to Pan these too much.

(Also, maybe a little extra reverb for the effect of a concert hall? You don't have to if you like the atmosphere of the studio though.)

With all those technicalities out of the way though, I'd say this piece is rather majestic.

Kyero2015 responds:

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate it!

I haven't actually played in an orchestra or listened to a live one myself, but I love listening to orchestral music on youtube and iTunes and whatnot. I will keep what you said in mind for future pieces!

3 (melodic dubstep experiment?) 3 (melodic dubstep experiment?)

Sounds Great. Though I kinda get DnB vibes halfway through, but I guess that's because DnB is what you're used to making...

MithyxSounds responds:

Yeah, it's more like melodic drumstep.

Time to say goodbye Time to say goodbye

You might want to add some reverb and release on some of your instruments. In real life instruments (Piano, Guitar, Flute, etc.) always have some sort of release, they don't cut off immediately. They also typically perform in Concert halls, where the vibrations from the instruments will travel farther and last longer. If you add these effects, chances are that your pieces will sound even more cinematic. :)

P.S Don't be afraid to bring out those low pitches. The Cello and Bass and add even more richness and emotion to your mixes. Even Brass too! Movies tend to feature these instruments too.

TrickshotCat12 responds:

Release i've tried, it's hard to get right without fucking ones ears up, since lots of notes = release earrape. I can add reverb to the last part, but before that i can't it's has enough reverb and i think it would just destroy the mix entirely haha :D

But i'll try adding more bass, although i don't know if i want it in this track, i want it to be as pure and clean as possible. It's for a game i'm working on.

Thanks! I'll try out your advice :)

Let's Go! (Original Mix) Let's Go! (Original Mix)

Try doing some EQing on the individual Tracks to prevent sounds from fighting over the spotlight. This is especially important when considering what is the thing that you want the listeners to hear the most. The mid ranges can be susceptible especially because many instruments will share that range. Also make sure you cut out unnecessary ranges for instruments which are not meant to play those pitches. (i.e Low-pass a bass type track, because you won't need the higher frequencies that I can produce because a lead will do that for you.)

HyprdrivE responds:

Ok, thanks for the feedback!

M.O.P. - Lightning M.O.P. - Lightning

Prog. House? If so, sounds amazing. I'm going to rate 5 because they don't have halves. Only complaint is that the (Sub) Bass is a bit much (at the beginning), but that's just my opinion. Kinda loses the whole drop momentum thing... for me it just seems like there wasn't much of a build because most of the drop elements were already there before the drop.

2:30 Was a nice. I liked that. The drop after that seems bigger simply because more elements are introduced in the 2nd drop, even though it's practically the same as the first.

Aside from that, sometimes it feels like too many things are fighting each other to be heard. Esp. in the beginning, when the noise comes in, instead of building on the sound, it seems to drown out some of the chords. My best guess is there is a lot of things going on at once, and there's just a limiter on the Master so it doesn't clip. Maybe try some EQing for the extreme ends? (You know, like High-pass filtering the Leads, and Low-pass filtering the lows and such.)

Or it may just be my ears, and I have no idea what I'm talking about. Sounds Amazing though!

MOProduction responds:

wow thank you. We did not expect someone to make a comment that was so helpful. There is a lot of good advice right there. Thank you! There is actually limiter, EQ, sausage fattener and a plugin in fl studio called maximus but i guess non of is really good at mastering.

Tune Machine - The Lantern Tune Machine - The Lantern

Sounds very cinematic to me. My only critique is that the strings could have a little more reverb to it; the current sounds (just the staccato ones) makes it appear as if there are individual instruments playing versus an entire orchestra (The Sustained and Unison notes are fine). I'm a violinist, so I can't tell if the lower strings have the same issues.

Also, if there was supposed to be a Cello solo, I'd bring that out more. It really is beautiful.